Motivating Platform for Elderly Networking, Mental Reinforcement, and Social Interaction
|Objective||1.4: “ICT for ageing well with cognitive problems, combining assistive and independent living technologies”|
|Duration||May 2009 – October 2012 (36 months)|
SOCIABLE piloted a radically new ICT based approach for integrated support of mental activity, as well as boosting of social interaction for individuals that have been diagnosed to suffer from mild dementia. SOCIABLE integrated human support and care services offered by care centers and specialized/expert operators (e.g., geriatric internist, geriatric psychiatrist, neurologist, neuropsychologist), with state-of-the-art ICT infrastructure and independent living technologies.
This new approach was build upon three tested technological pillars, which had proven therapeutical value, namely:
- a novel perceptive mixed reality interfaces based on multi-touch surfaces
- an open platform for cognitive training games development, which allows the flexible creation and customization of cognitive training games, and
- “profiling” and social “matching” capabilities boosting social networking and interaction between aged individuals
SOCIABLE was piloted with the participation of 350 senior citizens in 7 different pilot sites from 4 European countries (Greece, Italy, Norway and Spain).
Overall, SOCIABLE integrated, deployed and operated an innovative ICT-enabled online service for assessing and accordingly reinforcing the mental state of the elderly through pleasant gaming activities for cognitive training, while at the same time boosting their social networking and activating their day-to-day interpersonal interactions. SOCIABLE was envisaged as a service with high potential for societal impact that could add significant value to current service offerings of care services providers. Furthermore, it was associated with a clear business potential for sustainability and wider use by care service providers within (but also outside of) the SOCIABLE consortium.
Maggioli acted as a technological provider and dissemination and marketing leader.
- SingularLogic SA (Greece)
- Maggioli SPA (Italy)
- PREVI SL (Spain)
- Trondheim Kommune (Norway)
- Hygeia Hospital (Greece)
- Social Policy Centre of the Municipality of Kifissia (Greece)
- Municipality of Forlì (Italy)
- Morgagni Pierantoni Hospital (Italy)
- Fondazione Santa Lucia (Italy)
- University of Valencia (Spain)
- AIJU (Spain)